©2001 SQUIGLE, Inc.
last revision July 22, 2002
These instructions are provided as a guide to patients who have
been diagnosed by a physician or dentist. These Instructions have
been created after hundreds of hours of discussions with patients
and physicians. They are not meant to be rigid and unchanging. Of
course, we hope they work for you. But If they don't, please contact
SQUIGLE, Inc. toll-free at 1-877-718-0718 (9 am to 5 pm EST).
- This is crucial: Use SQUIGLE® Toothpaste exclusively.
Patented SQUIGLE is free of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and other
irritating ingredients such as cocamidopropyl betaine, tartar
control agents, and bleaches. And it has a mild flavor to prevent
irritation of delicate tissues. SQUIGLE has 36% Xylitol
to prevent plaque and cavities better than regular toothpaste.
- If you feel you need to use mouthwash, use 0.12% chlorhexidine
gluconate (a prescription antimicrobial rinse) twice a day, as
- Floss at least once a day, before you brush. Use unwaxed floss.
If your teeth are closely spaced, use Glide® floss. If your
ulcers are too painful to use floss, use an oral irrigator.
- If possible, gently brush your tongue, roof of mouth,
and inside of cheeks with a soft bristled, small headed brush.
This will further reduce the amount of irritating plaque in your
- No baking soda -- it only makes matters worse.
- No chewing gum, especially no cinnamon or spearmint. One exception
(see below). Don't use candy or breath mints, especially cinnamon
- For terrible attacks, try oral cortisone (methyl prednisolone
dose pack -- prescription required).
- A short course of oral tetracycline is OK. So is a short course
of antifungal therapy or antiviral therapy.
- Take a multivitamin + multimineral daily, after a meal.
(Solgar VM-75® is OK). In addition, take 500 mg to 1000 mg
vitamin C daily. Get sufficient rest each night.
- Visit an allergist to get tested for food allergies and sensitivities.
Then avoid any foods you are allergic to or sensitive to.
- If you get any painful canker sores, they can be treated by
applying ORA5® mild cauterizing agent (McHenry Laboratories,
Inc., Copperas Cove, TX 1-800-746-5486)
- If you still persist in getting life-disrupting canker sores,
and you do not use tobacco in any form, try chewing a nicotine
gum such as Nicorette® (four 2 mg tablets per day -- this
is equivalent to smoking one cigarette per day). [see: R. Bittoun,
The Medical Journal of Australia, vol.154, page 471 (1991)]